Dr OP Kanchan's Biography
Om Prakash was born on May 12, 1935, in a Punjabi Khatri family of Pakpatan sub-district of Mintgumri district, now in Pakistan. His father Late Babu Baijnath was a jeweller there, but after partition he settled in Chandausi city as a commission agent dealing in food grains. He was founder member of Shri Sanatan Dharma Sabha and was a forerunner in social works. His mother Late Mrs Hakim Devi was a housewife.
He received primary education at Pakpatan. From sixth to tenth standard, he studied at Nanak Chandra Adarsh Inter College, Chandausi. He did class 11th and 12th from SM Inter College, Chandausi. He got medical education from RA Medical College Hardwar and got MMBS degree between 1955 and 1960.
He worked as honorary physician at Ram Krishna Mission Sevashram Hospital, Kankhal, Hardwar. He set up his private clinic in Saharanpur in 1961, but after the death of wife, he came back to his parental town Chandausi in 1970s. He established his clinic on Station Road and is still providing services to the sick. Because of his research on a herb sarpgandha he was awarded MAMS degree by the Maharashtra Government.
Dr Kanchan has authored a book titled Sarpgandha, which has been highly acclaimed in the medical fraternity. His second book, Diabetes Guide, gives detailed information on diabetes, its treatment and precautions to be taken.
An avid reader, Dr Kanchan is a keen writer and has authored medical articles for several magazines. Apart from this, he has been involved in coin and stamp collection since his student days.
Dr Kanchan was president of the District Peace Committee, Chandausi. He was life member and an office-bearer of Chandausi Bal Vidya Mandir Trust and Lions International. He was founder president of Chandausi branch of National Integrated Medical Association. He was instrumental in the construction of Model Public Law College and Model Public Education College, Chandausi.
At present he is secretary of Model Public Law College and president of Model Public Education College, both situated in Chandausi.